Plant-based protein at its best! Coin-shaped lentils are eaten in Italy on New Year's Eve to bring prosperity.
This recipe is based on a traditional dal. The warm spices are perfect for a fall meal.
- 2 lbs. Petite Crimson Lentils
- 5 1/3 T. olive oil
- 2 qts. onion, chopped
- 1 c. garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. ginger, chopped
- 1 t. asafetida, ground
- 1 1/3 T. ground cumin
- 2 2/3 T. ground coriander
- 4 t. turmeric, ground
- 1 t. cayenne chile, ground
- 1/3 c. kosher salt
- 8 c. tomato, diced
- 7 qts. vegetable stock or water
- 4 c. plain yogurt
- Heat oil in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Add asafetida, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, salt and diced tomatoes to the pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and vegetable stock or water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until lentils are falling apart, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender until very smooth.
- Add yogurt and blend well.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Yield: 44 servings
Per serving: 112 cal., 7 g pro., 16 g carb., 3 g fiber, 3 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 1 mg chol., 617 mg sod., 1 g sugar
Serve this soup with lightly grilled naan or pita bread brushed with spiced oil.